As frightening and malignant as obesity seems, is a reversible. Obesity can be defined as a condition where patients put on an excessive amount of fat. In such a condition, moving around is difficult, and patients might need help with daily personal activities. This goes to show that not just the patient, but patient’s loved ones too, are easily affected by obesity.
An obesity patient’s physical movements are restricted, and the patient faces muscular stiffness, as well as increasing joint immobility. In an obese state, the patient also becomes a candidate for heart disease and will likely have high blood pressure, experience breathing difficulties, blood-sugar issues, etc.
Here’s what you achieve when you reverse obesity
When you reduce your excessive weight, you automatically:
• Lower your blood pressure
• Improve your memory
• Reduce joint pain
• Decrease muscle stiffness
Losing weight helps to lower your blood pressure
People suffering from blood pressure issues tend to create stress for all those around them, especially close relatives. Most certainly, an increase in weight leads to a rise in blood pressure. This is why you must not let your weight gain become unmanageable. However, the good news is that by losing just 10 pounds you can reduce your blood pressure significantly. You can begin with small changes to start a healthy life.
Reducing obesity improves your memory
While obesity can gradually damage your memory, did you ever think that weight loss could help to improve your memory? To lose weight, you need to follow a healthy diet along with exercising, and this change in diet can help you increase your brain performance, especially if you have fish 2-3 times a week.
Reduces joint pain
Joint pain and orthopedic problems is one of the most prevalent conditions resulting from obesity. Studies consistently show that overweight people have higher rates of joint pain problems than people who aren’t overweight. One study found that those who are obese (with a body mass index [BMI] between 30 and 35) are four to five times more likely to get arthritis in their knees.
If you have weight-induced joint pain, losing weight and taking stress off your joints may ease your symptoms. While your body can’t reverse arthritis or regrow cartilage, losing weight can help arthritic joints feel better and prevent further damage.
What should you do to reduce stress levels caused by obesity?
Obesity and mobility issues might cause stress to you and your family. Notably, most stressed individuals commonly have high levels of cortisol. Cortisol is a hormone that is released in response to stress. High cortisol levels may cause weight gain. Making some changes in your diet might help reduce these stress levels.
• Breakfast: Most people feel that skipping breakfast will help them lose weight. You could instead miss out on essential nutrients. It may lead you to intake snacks throughout the day that comprise junk food that causes you to gain weight.
• Junk food: Replace your junk food stock with healthy snacks.
• Processed foods: This is something that you wouldn't want to get your hands on, as they contain excess sugar and unhealthy fats.
Which food should be included in your diet?
Exercise isn't going to do it all. Drinking water can help with weight loss, and it also can boost your metabolism. It can be difficult to avoid situations that are out of your control. Unhealthy snacks stored or placed on the table, are more likely to tempt you. So, keeping junk food out of your house could be a good solution.
Most certainly, the intake of desserts must be limited. Going to family dinners or hanging out with your friends can lead you to some tempting sweet dishes. Try to resist these.
Fruits that you would want to take into consideration:
• Apples: According to research, three apples daily can help with you lose weight.
• Watermelon: Low in calories, high water content, and undoubtedly yummy! Less than 100 calories of watermelon and your stomach will feel as if you have eaten more.
• Grapefruit: Half a medium grapefruit has only 60 calories, and, like watermelon, it's more than 90 percent water.
Foods that you would want to take into consideration:
• Spicy Foods: A spicy compound known as capsaicin helps you boost your metabolism and reduce your appetite slightly.
• Whole, Single-Ingredient Foods: If you want to be healthier, then you should eat whole, single-ingredient foods. These foods can be naturally filling. A diet based on these foods will make it easier to lose weight.
• Vegetables: Many properties in vegetables can be effective for helping you lose weight. There are fewer calories contained in them and a lot of fiber. Vegetables are also high in water content.
There is no short-cut fix for obesity but taking a step towards that path is important. While all the mobility and health issues affects you socially and economically, it also affects the people that are closest to you. Regularly monitoring your weight, setting realistic goals, and involving your friends and family with your attempts to lose weight would help.
Take a step for an improved life and always ask for support. Dr Cenk Sogukpinar and the team at Private Anadolu Hospital International Health Unit build a support system for the patient, including surgery, nutrition and rehabilitation.